Pages

Monday, July 23, 2007

Thank yourself by not smoking

Today would have been my father's 78th birthday, and for me July 23rd will always be a date tinged with sadness because of his too early death in 1989. The Tobacco companies and their paid off scientists, spin doctors and apologists may deny any link between the lung cancer that decimated my father's body and his pack-a-day habit, but no one who knew him has any doubts.

Ironically, coincidentally, serendipitously — choose the word that best matches your view of fate — as if to comemmorate the anniverary of Anthony Edward Scudellari's birth, today I read that Governor Rod Blagojevich signed into law the Smoke-Free Illinois Act, which bans smoking in public places around the state begining next January (see Gov signs ban on smoking in public places from today's Chicago Sun Times)

I have many friends who smoke. I have relatives who smoke. I go to cafés and restaurants where I see smokers huddled outside doors, indulging their compulsions. I hang out in bars where I breath the emissions of 20-somethings who carelessly puff away at those leaves rolled with chemicals and toxins. I know the arguments well, having heard them flung my way like self-defending punches:
  • "It's my life and my body, and I can do what I want with them."

  • "We've all got to die of something ..."

  • "The government can't tell me what to do."

  • "I have a right to smoke where ever I want."

There's also the usual outcry from pro-business circles against the rise of what they call a "Nanny State." I could counter these arguments with my usual responses. I could discuss the social impacts of individual behaviors — both the ill-affects of second-hand smoke on non-smokers, and the way smokers' poor health escalates health care costs for the general population. I could point out that the right to operate a business is granted with the expectation that owners accede to regulations that protect and preserve the greater social good, just as individuals have to abide by the law in order to receive their civil rights.

Forget all that, however, and take some simple words of advice from someone who spent long hours and days sitting at the side of his morphine-sedated father as he lay in a hospital bed dying an agonizing death. You don't want to die that way, and you don't want to put your own family through that much sorrow.

Photo credit: Gregory Maxwell, copyright 2005

17 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

The loss of your Father is unfortunate and sad. May the good memories out way the darkest of times, to embrace you in having been blessed to of known this Gentleman – your Father. My Mother never smoked, nor drank, etc., even so; in 2000 she had to undergo a 4 heart bypass. Fortunately; she is well today. Smoke and second-hand smoke has been a health risk for generations. Today the topic is merely a Political popularity card to score points, not a solution. People still entering establishments that are smoke-free, get bombarded worse now - by the second-hand smoke, from the lingering smokers outside. While smoke-free inside, People are engulfed by chemically, proven health-hazardous perfumes and colognes. Meanwhile, the totality of our environment is dissipating from additional on going Industrial pollution, automobile emissions, insecticides, etc. If only the Politicians could set aside their popularity cards and do more to reduce all contributing factors involved, perhaps this would lessen all risks and/or enhance the recovery rate, so People like yourself and Family members, won’t have to continue to sit beside any bed because of ill-intended Politics. (I embrace you with Universal Hugs my Friend!)

Jackie said...

I am one of those people who has struggled many times with this awful and tragic addiction. However, I always strive my best to never expose anyone to the gunk that I am putting into my own body. None of my children smoke...I started at age 11 when I really didn't know better...now I am addicted. I have tried 3 times this year alone to quit...only to fail. But, eventually I know I will be successful...keep up the good fight. You know for every place that I go inot where smoking is banned....that is one less stick of death I put into my body!!~jackie

Jennifer Jones said...

Thank you for this Francis...

I find the reality that people will distort facts, produce harmful products, and virtually kill others, to gain money beyond imaginable, and yet it is so prevelanta dynamic!

Blessings to you and thank you for your courage to speak out!

Jen

Francis Scudellari said...

Jeane: Thanks for the hugs, and yes politicians sometimes embrace good positions for the wrong reasons. I think the ban will help, but it's not the final answer to anything. It took pols a long time to catch on to Tobacco, and they are lagging way behind on the environment.

Jackie: I have friends who also struggle with the addiction (as well as others), so I hope you do finally beat it. That's one more reason to stop people from ever starting.

Jennifer: Yes, it's a sad fact of our society that when money becomes the sole motivator, people will do some pretty destructive things. It's through the support of you and Jeane and Jackie and everyone else that I'm able to write these stories, so I thank you all from my heart.

Anonymous said...

Francis,

As a smoker... that was tough to read. I wish I didn't smoke... I wish I didn't want to smoke... I need to quit.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Goldy, thanks for the comment. It's a touchy subject for me, obviously, but I'm lucky enough to have never started smoking. Of course I've got my own self-destructive behaviors, and I'm sure they will contribute to my own future health issues. I do want to look into how much the additives big tobacco puts into their cigarettes are responsible for the addictiveness. I've heard stories, but don't know any facts.

Oh, and a belated happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

Thanks man. There is no doubt that the chemicals contribute. The hardest thing for smokers however is not the physical withdrawal but the psychosomatic withdrawal... our brain thinks we need a smoke long after we have gotten the nicotine out of our system.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss. My father died of lung cancer aged 62. I am left to wonder what if...

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks jackal. I'm sorry for your loss too. It's always tough, and we all play that guessing game, but I know my father will always be with me -- in my thoughts and memories, and in who I am -- and I take some comfort in that.

Anonymous said...

Your anecdote is very sad but I have a question for you. How do you KNOW his tragic death was caused by smoking or other air pollution?

You see, some folks exposed to the exact same contaminants live past 100! Can you explain this fact to me? I'm kinda dumb!

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi, thanks for the comment. I don't think you're dumb at all. In fact, I think you're a genius. Why don't we conduct a little experiment, since you seem inclined toward the scientific method. I'll be one lab rat, and not smoke at all. You can be the other and smoke a lot; how about 4 packs a day. Can you handle that? Then check back with me later and life and let me know how your health is. Thanks for playing, come again.

Anonymous said...

I understand 100 year old George Burns conducted that experiment with his doctor and the doctor lost.

Francis Scudellari said...

I ran across a busy street once, and didn't get hit by a car. Using your logic, we should all just run across heavily trafficked streets and take our chances from now on, since I survived. So to answer your comment, one test is never enough. You'll need to still smoke those 4 packs in order to prove George Burns other than a fluke.

Anonymous said...

If a smoker gets lung cancer or heart failure or flat feet it's easy to say smoking caused it. But you'll have to explain what causes those maladies in non smokers before I'll believe it.

PLEASE, PLEASE don't say second hand smoke,because that would mean we're all gonna get those maladies since we've all gotten a whiff at one time or another.

Francis Scudellari said...

Look, this has been a lot of fun, but I don't really have to explain anything to you. You're big on anecdotal evidence but short on logic and facts. Take a look at this little article, and then either identify who you are or stop trying to push the tobacco company's propaganda:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9C00E6DD1031F93BA25753C1A960958260
The link between lung cancer and smoking has been accepted in the scientific community for years now. If you read something other than tobacco ads, you might have come across that.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you understand the International Tobacco War, but if it eases the pain of your father's loss to blame it on smoking, I won't try to educate you.

I lost my father (a nonsmoker) also, and I don't have that luxury. My heart goes out to you.

Francis Scudellari said...

I'm sorry for your loss as well, and let's leave it there. Take care.