Pages

Friday, July 20, 2007

Cafe Society: Opening the Wine & Grind

Knowing my fondness for marrying musical lyrics to randomly inspired thoughts, my good friend the Poetress at Binding Ink left me a lovely little comment that re-imagined the words of Cabaret to suit yesterday's Café Society posts. Ever one to recognize true genius, I am giving her creativity a place of prominence.

Poetress had the intriguing idea of combining the gourmet realms of coffee and wine into a new bistro-like establishment called Wining and Grinding, where the slogan would be "No Sour Grapes Allowed, But Lots of Spilling the Beans Welcomed!"

Given the propensity for wine to lay low and coffee to raise up, I think my mind could achieve quite the equilibrium at such an establishment. The picture above is a detail from Edouard Manet's painting Au Café and it perfectly captures the equanimity that I imagine settling upon my own mien at such a place.

With no further ado, here is Poetress's contribution to yesterday's randomness:
What good is sitting alone in your room?
Come hear what’s brewin’
Life is a Carafe, old chum,
Come to the Café.

Put down the metaphorical pen,
The book and the broom.
Time for a holiday.
Life is a Carafe, old chum,
Come to the Café.

Come taste the wine so fine
The java lava,
Come hear the gossip.
Come blow your horn,
Start celebrating;
Right this way,
Your table's waiting

No use permitting some prophet of doom
To wipe every smile away.
Come hear what’s a brewin’
Life is a Carafe, old chum,
Come to the Café!

Bearing in mind that a Carafe is ironically both: 1: a bottle with a flaring lip used to hold beverages and especially wine 2: a usually glass container used to hold and serve coffee. Which goes with the Wining and Grinding!

4 comments:

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

Thank you Francis, you are to kind. I’m glad it doesn’t take much to entertain you! You do for ones' creativity what wine does for the Spirits and coffee does for the exhaustion. You lift me up and keep me going! Having the privilege to know such an extraordinary, Arty online Bud as yourself, I yearn less for wine flavored coffee!

Taexalia said...

Oh now that is a cafe I could spend all day and all night in! ;-)

Francis Scudellari said...

Jeane,

It actually does take a lot to entertain me, but once I'm amused it's easy to keep me that way :). I'm glad to showcase your comment as it was a perfect night cap to my posts.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Taexalia,

I guess the cafe has its first customer! We'll have to apply for a 24-hour license.