Pages

Monday, September 14, 2009

A Toady Haunt

The bathroom faucet drips hurried footsteps,
carrying him back to dappled wood buried

in repeated dreams: a brushed ritual
circle hasty ringed by displaced logs, bark bit

by lichens; their sacrilege tools — hammer's
rotted-wood grip, nails with rusty shafts — littered

about a stump-altar where brothers met,
made not-so-secret sacrifice, to abash

their god; still suffering toad, random
picked to endure this mock passion play ending

on cross-tied twigs. Its yet resurrected
eyes stare at him, ask simple but damning "why?"

No Samaritan, good or bad, among
pretend Romans, ever stayed their hands to help.

— Francis Scudellari



This is my second poem (finally) written in response to Read Write Prompt #91 at Read Write Poem.

4 comments:

Jena Isle said...

Myserious , Francis. Am I a toad? But I like it.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena I think we're all the toad :)

angie said...

I adore this!

I didn't realize it was for the rwp prompt until I reached the end. such strong, vivid images--the flashback to the memory that haunts him is flawless.

I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to read -- I've been missing some beautiful work!! ;)

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Angie. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I put off finishing it for quite some time. Better late than never :)