Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

La Vita Oscura

In his La Vita Nuova (The New Life), the Italian poet Dante describes emerging from the dark forest of his early dissolute life to be guided to a more moral existence by his dead love Beatrice. It's a great piece of art, and an interesting framework for a collection of verses.

I've never led anything resembling a dissolute life, in fact I've toed a pretty conservative line in the conduct of my quotidian activities. Beyond an occasional beer at divy bars, I don't dabble in too many vices. That said, I haven't found much reward in this upright and uptight lifestyle.

So it got me thinking ... yes, always a dangerous prospect. Maybe I need to pull a reverse-Dante and explore the wonders of moral dissolution. I could even write a collection of verses called La Vita Oscura (The Dark Life) that describes my slow dissent from shiny plained turpitude to shadowed lands of vice. Of course, first I need to locate a dark-spirited guide for the endeavor ... my Malatrice. I'd prefer that she be living, however.

7 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

Ah the journey of searching can be more the reward than the destination?
Loved the post
Linda

Jena Isle said...

Each of us has his own personal journey, but in the end , we all have to interact and help each other , if we are to find meaning in our lives. Cheers and happy blog hopping.

Ms. O. D. said...

is la vita obscura fall part of the same category as la dolce vita?

Francis Scudellari said...

@Linda I agree... it is all about the journey, but I'm ready for a different route :).

@Jena My problem is that I've spent so much time straying from my own path to help others along theirs that I've lost my way forward.

@MsOD It's similar, but much grungier, I think. More along the lines of Bukowski or Algren.

Fiendish said...

La Vita Oscura is already a great name for something. I suggest you live whatever life is required to write that something. Be quite ruthless when it comes to pursuing the Muse. ;)

Randy said...

"keep on the sunny side, allways on the sunny side of life" Dark begats dark and the mind is easilly formed to habit, and there is so much darkness already. Yet, I supose we will all go there nonetheless. So tie a string that you may find a way back out.
Enjoyed the blog. Thanks

Francis Scudellari said...

@Fiendish Agreed... and ruthlessness is something I've always wanted to embrace :)

@Randy I'm glad you enjoyed the visit. If not a string, I'll definitely bring along some breadcrumbs :)