Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

Oranges, Part Two: First Love

Here's the second installment of my poem Oranges for Three Loves (Part I is here). I'm trying to do a better job of balancing the flow, imagery and word play. I too often sacrifice on the first. I have an idea for another related drawing that I'll try to post before Part III.

II. Striped Dawning

Home on morn's edge, a first love he soon sights
her narrow white face with blush-dabbed features,
the tall swab of swirled scarlet hair atop,
a bobbing tongue that bounces into view

At striped dawning, he, perhaps too eager,
reaches into his bag with halting hand.
An under-ripe gift he blurts out to her,
offered wholly careless, green-tipped, unpeeled

She takes it, and rolls it in slender hands
thumbs inspecting it, a bit misshapen,
bumps and crevices around knobby stem...
no fruit for her, nose upturned, she walks on

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh this is very clever, you or am I reading more into her than what I should *wink*

Jackie said...

I find this to be very delightful Francis.

It is much simpler than the usual fare you offer us. Yet it is so very descriptive and charming.

I envision a little girl with pig tails and a little boy with the most sincere heart.

Perhaps I am just of simple mind and I am missing something.

But, I love this one!!

Happy weekend!!:-)

zorlone said...

Very nice!

Usually, the sequel will tempt you and make you want to scream, "What the f&@#$ is going to happen next?"

You did it! That's how I see it.

Well done Francis!

I hope you'll nail the last installment of your poem. No pressure man, he he he!

Z

P.S. I like how you played with the words.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Sarah I don't think you can ever read too much into the things I write :). I'm glad you like it.

@Shinade Thanks! I'm trying to pattern it after the opera/fable "The love for three oranges" so the attempt at simplicity is intentional. Happy weekend to you too.

@Zorlone I'm glad it didn't disappoint you. There are actually two parts (and loves) left still. I hope they are equally satisfying :)

Jena Isle said...

I sense a "snob"? if I listen to my green mind, then....oops...

Brilliant poem as usual, Francis.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena A bit snobbish with her upturned nose, yes.