Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

History reads ... that I love

This poem was inspired by the title of another site's blog post. As often happens, I mis-read the phrase. Rather than the author's intended meaning (recommended historical texts), my twisted bit of consciousness took the word sequence in a completely different direction. It's a strange and bumpy ride, but you can follow where my wandering thoughts went here:

History reads ...

By Francis Scudellari

History reads:
That I love,
Or loved
Once ...

But more, distance re-moved,
From faded pages
Over-turned, to
Re-collect …

Is hard. Cold facts printed; inked on
Paper. Out-lined face, withdrawn
From flip-book memories,
Slight searched, to re-place …

Loving details. Seems
Now lost in too tangled
Stories. Close-knit, feeling full-
Blooded, color-drained as re-called:

Black-and-white.
Subtle touches
Be-loved, past sleeping,
Restless, as re-captured

Then
Becomes
Re-written.
My new fiction …

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Color added with the passing of time ....

Loved this Francis considering I am a History Major. It moves well on the tip of the tongue and the finish is bang on. As always well done. :-)
~JD

fihanna said...

Ur name is "absolutely!
cosa viene fuori if I replace your thoughts with my thoughts ???
re-hanna
re-kiss and re-hugs

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi JD,

We have something else in common ... I got my undergraduate degree in history as well.

I think it gets boggled a little in the penultimate stanza, but I'm happy with it overall. The first drafts were a bit too cute and took it to a completely different ending.

Francis Scudellari said...

Ciao Hanna,

I think your words would come out, if I had your thoughts ... but we'd have to experiment. We could swap for a day :).

A continuous loop of hugs to you too ...

Anonymous said...

To be able to work with words that way, a poet you are, as only a poet takes his everyday minutia and place them to such context.

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Cooper. You'd be surprised how adept I can be with minutia :). That's actually a pretty poetically phrased comment. Have you ever dabbled in verse?

BillyWarhol said...

Fantastic Prose* ;)) Peace*

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Billy. I love your site.

fihanna said...

Hi Dear FS!
the same parameters do not mean same thoughts...
"love" or "ligh" hanno diverso significato from you or from me...
definitely:
the life is one re-play,
re-cycling...
talento di vivere.