Pages

Friday, June 08, 2007

Favorite Song of the Day: Trouble In Mind

Today I'm going to be stepping away from the computer for an extended period of time to enjoy a warm summer day on Chicago's lakefront listening to some wonderful free music. We're in the midst of the 24th annual Chicago Blues Festival, and it's an event that for me truly marks the start of the season. There's no better way to experience the city than to sit among the diverse crowds soaking in the sunshine and the music that's become one of Chicago's signature sounds.

Certain to be among the many standards played down in Grant Park will be the Big Bill Broonzy tune Trouble In Mind. It's a song that's appropriate to this moment on a few different levels. I've certainly got troubles personal, psychological, philosophical and political swirling around my gray matter — and I know that my thoughts will settle down into a sunny calm one day. The acoustic duo Cephas and Wiggins does a great version, and I'll be hoping to hear it from them on Sunday. As they play it, my mind will certainly feel far removed from the daily grind of life in the big city.

Here's one version of the song ... each take on it is a little different.

Trouble In Mind
by Bill Broonzy

Trouble in mind, I am blue,
But I won't be blue always
Well the sun's gonna shine in my back door some day

I'm gonna lay my head,
On that lonesome railroad line,
And let that 2:19 pacify my mind

I'm all alone at midnight,
And my lamp is turned down low
Never had so much trouble in my life before

I'm gonna lay my head,
On that lonesome railroad track
When I hear that whistle, Lord, I'm gonna pull it back

You've been a hardheaded mamma,
And you sure treat me unkind
I'll be your hardheaded daddy, I swear I'll make you lose your mind

Look here, sweet mamma,
See what you have done
Well, you made me love you, and now your regular man done come

Trouble in mind, I am blue,
Trouble on my, on my mind
When you hear me laughing, I'm laughing to keep from crying

Trouble in mind, I am blue,
But I won't be blue always
Well the sun's gonna shine in my back door some day

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to get away from the computer for awhile. Especially when listening to music is involved.

Francis Scudellari said...

Agreed ... but the computer is like an addiction, and it's hard for me to make it through the day without atleast a small fix. Being out in the sunshine listening to good music certainly relieves some of the withdrawal.