Pages

Saturday, January 07, 2012

Simulacratastic

The mimic
octopus slides, it glides
carelessly by, since it’s decided to try
on this brown and white, lying
it’s a lionfish. It’s not
the black marble jawfish either,
a small fish, which is also not
a lionfish, or a mimic
octopus. It’s swapped,
the jawfish, black for brown,
marble for spot, and it’s stopped
burrowing to stay close
and share in the mimic’s lie.
I’ve succeeded too, not
needing mimicry, to hide.
So much so, under
these sliding black-and-white lines,
the glib lies I use to glide
through marbled days, I can’t catch
the spotty attention of anything
but the clingy brown
exhaust from my reflection.

2 comments:

flaubert said...

Hi Francis, I see you are staying out of the blogoshpere (mainstream). I miss reading your writing. This an excellent piece. I just saw it on twitter. I hope you had a good holiday and best of luck for 2012 and beyond...

Pamela

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Pamela. I've been lying low, like the octopus :). Best wishes for you too in 2012.