Pages

Monday, July 04, 2011

Rendering fat unto Ceasar

it may or may not be fading the glory but the gory red white and blue meat of it was charred to a cinder while you neglected to handle the griddle and its blackening pool of fatty answers that spits and pops greasy drops wanting to fly to a wheel any wheel left that’s not attached to axles attached to chassis attached to roofs attached to sirens hurtling bodies bloodied by joyless sticks their attacking thumbs with no prints just a serial number and a pension that causes them to intentionally twitch these deaths a world away throw that world away and turn your eyes to see reach your arms to hold and probe their discarded limbs feel their loss a loss repeated to a scream you couldn’t hear what good is your akimbo pose posing as if you had questions or doubts even when the questions ran out so long ago so long in fact that the meat you’re cooking was no longer fresh when you tossed it in that pan of foul smelling fat you thought was clear but it’s flecked with bits of sour alibis and singed hairs that float and lie to you they’re licorice coated floss


At the suggestion of a friend, I tried writing a poem with "no structure." I combined this exercise with the wordle prompt over at The Sunday Whirl. What emerged is much freer and, probably because of my current state of mind, much more overtly political than what I usually write. I'm sure not everyone will appreciate it, but that comes with the territory of experimentation and speaking one's mind.

6 comments:

ariverflowsby said...

For some reason, this write left me hngry. I am hard pressed to explain that reaction. I certainly know that was not your intent. Think I shall read it a few more times and see where it takes me.

Enjoy your blog.

flaubert said...

Francis, the political state of affairs is enough to make even the calmest person angry. (imho)
A strong write.

Pamela

Anonymous said...

This would not have been as effective if it had not been written as a long expletive (formless) and I think the original concept of Georges Peric.

This is brilliant and probably one of your best so far.You do good anger and outburst. I support any signs of scintillating life force in anything.. which is sadly lacking in most things poetical.

En garde Scaramouche:)!

lucychili said...

it flows
and rings true.

lucychili said...

I agree also with Pam

Francis Scudellari said...

@Richard I think there was a quote related to Sinclair's "The Jungle" that I can paraphrase here... I aimed for the head and hit the stomach :).

@Pamela It's good to let off some steam, even poetically, occasionally.

@Anon I may do anger well, but I don't want to make a habit of it. I like to mix the moods of my pieces, to keep things fresh.

@Janet I'm glad you like it. I may revisit this styleless style. There's an appeal to letting go of structure.