Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

A language for the end times

It’s the midsty morning,
all grammar’s run amuck
and the rapture won’t take me.

They’re lining up,
the letters and errant punctuation.

Spray-tagged against walls
they’ll torment the souls
who’ll stay here in god’s mean timing.

I keep putting apostrophe’s
where they don’t belong.

It’s an oblonging of words
and it will always be
my denial.

What’s possessed me?

I could pose esses,
caressing them down to tildes,
til disappointed and unsexed
by a symbolic life on its side,
they'd rise back up to text,
not angry but sure
their standing’s worth fighting for.

That’s nothing but a bad dream.

Line theft has left
this man fantastical
and it’s broken my container
of finger-twitching quotations.

3 comments:

lucychili said...

like this.
the animated language
and the bewildered writer =)

flaubert said...

This is excellent and relatable, Francis.

Pamela

Francis Scudellari said...

@Janet I think I've mastered the voice of the bewildered writer :).

@Pamela Thanks... it's good to know there are a few others out there who can relate to my strangeness.