Pages

Sunday, May 08, 2011

Giving in to the clichéd on Mother's Day

Ahem, it's for the many ways I haven't said "I love you"
Oh, I know, it goes without saying, or even doing, when
T-shirts, circulars and greeting cards all proclaim it for me in
Achingly florid fonts, dripping with pastel sentiment, but
Each year this day brings with it an advertisement-teased doubt.
Erring on the side of their callow self-promotion, I’ll give you this. I love you.


With a special "I love you" dedicated to my mom Marina, and all the women out there who make this world a more welcome place for the rest of us.

2 comments:

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,

I enjoyed the real and honest sentiment, contained in those last very personal words to your own mother.
Very nicely done!

Best wishes, Eileen

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Eileen... somewhere in the fictive me's layered within all the lines of poetry I've written, the real me always peeks through :).