Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

It's in our dreams we'll find the way forward

My inner tongue trips
over her yesterday
morning’s extemporaneous
homily and its retelling
rains down on me
temporal anomalies
through which I’ll slip the bleached
monotony chasing me.

Turn key,
return me
to the upturned
glee of a midnight macadam.

Unmanned, it’s where
the manholes open up to me
their traps of sunken yet
stacked wire-mesh baskets.

They’ve been left
to catch a refused few
turquoise-beaded strings
mixed with ash
feather-dusted by the lime,
tangerine and grape
wing beats of exotic birds
too meek to fly upward.

There the tensile tip of a sweet
and fecund smell grips me
and it squeezes out
visions of too-soon
dying in that bed
where a stripped truth lies
tenderly with the on-putting
of my put-off lies.

A low hiss heralds happy heat
and radiating pings rap me
down the shrinking-shadow hall
away from Hedone’s keep.

In the singular
pleasure of this rhythmic pluralism
my nouns and verbs find
their final agreement:
All we’ve known
is what a wanting wind’s foretold,
but its chilly, willful voice
can no longer hold us.

4 comments:

McDishy said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!

cooper said...

Nice one Francis. I get here so infrequently these days, but that life would stop, even if momentarily.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,
I really enjoyed reading your words. A very endearing piece of writing.
A warmth....

Best wishes, Eileen

Francis Scudellari said...

@McD Thanks so much.

@Cooper All visits, even the infrequent variety, are much appreciated. Congrats on the recent blog-anniversary.

@Eileen Warmth is needed now that the cold is upon us :).