Pages

Friday, September 07, 2007

Days and thoughts turning to autumn

As the days of the calendar fall away announcing the approach of autumn, my thoughts turn to the sights, sounds and smells of my favorite season. Since my childhood I've looked forward to the leaves ripening like fruit and releasing their hold on the branches; falling in twisted paths toward the ground that they will feed with decomposition.

I love the season's steady rains: the water glistening on the fiery colored leaves that blanket the ground and brighten the gray skies overhead; the pit-a-pat of the drops drumming the earth; the awakened aroma of damp decay. It is a time marked by sensory reminders of Nature's cycling toward death. There is a sadness in that imminent demise, but it is tempered by the hope of inevitable renewal and rebirth.

I dug out this old poem of mine to salute the coming of the season.

I listen to the Fall
by Francis C. Scudellari

I listen to the Fall;
alone, walking.
Walk through ...

Orange-yellow murmurs,
red and brown sighs,
... settling.

The autumnal voices,
many, muted,
I hear ...

Rhythmic rain chants,
Gray, gusted groans,
Wilting whispers.

The Earth speaks soft response,
... mother-echoes,
... welcomes.

Draws cold children to her
black soil,
nurtured embrace.

I hear her sounds
without language

I sense emotion
unexplained.

Remain outside,
both thought and dream.

Now under-ripe,
too proud, unlearned.

One day, understanding,
the words will come.

Then joy, ...
To join my voice with hers

Calling others
... homeward

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow great poem. I never fully realized the beauty of fall until now

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Alex,

Thanks. And I didn't even mention that it's the start of football season too :).

ndpthepoetress Jean Michelle Culp said...

You make me want to get my rake out and scoop your colorful poetic words into my memory, to cherish forever :)

Francis Scudellari said...

Thanks Jeane. They may be better off laying on the ground where they'll disappear into the soil, but you're welcome to scoop them up and press them.

Dave J. said...

Autumn is without a doubt my favorite season. I am grateful that I live in Michigan where the four seasons are still markedly different from one another.

DJ

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Dave,

Thanks for stopping by :). I spent some time in Eastern Michigan back in the Fall of 2000, and the leaves were wonderful there. The trip from Chicago was quite pretty.

Anonymous said...

This is a really beautiful poem. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Karen, Thanks for visiting and sharing a comment. I sometimes read thru old stuff, and this one I particularly like. Now if I can just sit down and write some new ones, I'll be in good shape :).