Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In the confusion of voices

I’m partnered with whispers.
Disquieting their partner, they whisk her
voice unasked through my dial-bound trips.
Daily they gaily needle me with their tip
to need her voice nonetheless.
Nightly I feed them less and less
detail, but they grow and they mock the endless hem-
hawed denials, I’ve tripped again.

“Check this box. You know,
the four-squared lines around the hollow
of our white space.
Yes, there’s no phrase
next to the unchecked box. It doesn’t matter.
We’re only here to gather
a positive response. We’ll fill in the rest
later, and we’ll attest
we could see through
your glassy hush, as we saw through
the stone trying not to dwell
on those bits of crushed shells.”

The shells. Those damned bits
of shells she left minutes
before she left. Shells already
discarded by some small medley
of slimy unnamed things
somehow both alive and living
out in the dead-calm lake. Those shells lost
or more likely tossed
aside but lightly, as delicate dishes
are gently pushed when finished.

“We’ve heard you tell it.
The green-brown waves rolled to deposit
them on that spit of coarse, cold sand where
your toes slipped from shoes and care
to taste the ridges
of their gently sloped backs and smooth-worn edges.
She took them home then
and using nail polish she painted them
shocking pink faces and round eyes in various hues
of red. Glitter-glued to blue
construction paper they bubbled
her winking verbs, which troubled
you as you re-read
them and deconstructed
her intentions each color-
less visit to the refrigerator door.”

I’ve told it
and much the same, but when I hear it
their words
become less mine than hers.

4 comments:

human being said...

hmmm... the voice of shells is heard loud and clear...

sometimes i wonder why we are not heard... is it because we should learn to cry louder?

manik sharma said...

"colourless visits to the refrigerator door"...francis are there any short stories you've written ?? or tried writing..i mean pardon me if i'm not aware...but if there is anything of that amplitude....i would really want to read it...i admire your style...and i get to learn a thing or two...there are edges...and you keep on it...the changes that you said you were trying to make are working out splendid...the word verification for this post says 'sordica' ....that sounds beautiful....these people are having fun with language in ways no others can...

Francis Scudellari said...

@hb I don't think it's a lack of volume. I think it's a lack of listeners :).

@Manik Thanks. I did write several short stories quite a few years back. There is one called "Birthright" that I've posted on my other website (http://bit.ly/hzVHWB) and I'm in the process of re-writing a second called "Belly" but I'm still struggling to find the proper form for it. I too take a lot of joy in the inventiveness of these word prompts.

Unknown said...

You are improving with each day, Francis, & we are listening!