Pages

Thursday, February 03, 2011

Goodbye, hello

To be very blunt, this isn't working. I'm out of whack. A ghost, with a fading voice and a haunted step.

I've invested much of myself in this virtual enterprise, with absolutely no expectation of a return. It's helped me in many ways, and I don't regret it. I could never abandon it completely, but the time has come to change gears and seek balance.

Being of the world, I need to go back into the world. I've tried to be so totally available here in this simulacrum of a world, dedicated myself so thoroughly to it, that I've withdrawn too much from the real one.

What does it mean? What's next? I won't stop writing. I could never do that. I know. I've tried. But I've come to recognize that what I write is lacking too much of the real world too. There will be fewer posts. Fewer tweets. Fewer Facebook statuses. Fewer blog visits.

In short, I can't be as present as I am here, and also be present "out there." And being totally present here is damaging me. There are big changes going on in the world right now, and I can't just be a spectator to them anymore. I need to participate.

I'm lucky, in a sense, to be alone. I have no real obligations that tie me to a particular location. I have the freedom (though maybe not the funds) to wander, and explore, and discover. I only lack a plan to put it all in motion.

11 comments:

Rallentanda said...

Oh...

Good point about entering the real world again...If you stay out for too long...re-entry is too difficult.

The most important thing is the plan...why not have an adventure and see where it takes you...with an imagination like yours, funds, not necessary.. you will come up with something ingenious.

Good for you Francesco! Have Fun and lots of interesting experiences.

Harlequin said...

As a frequent reader and more infrequent commenter, i have enjoyed your thoughtful, engaged and provocative poetics here in this modality. I 'm so glad to hear that you cannot NOT write and look forward to the times when you do. I wish you well in your next modality of poetizing, which i suspect will be as--and likely more-- powerful as this one. Namaste.

human being said...

funds are found on the way
and
plans, like plants, grow from little seeds

you have much to give to the world...
bon courage, Francis!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Rall I could definitely use an adventure. It'll just take a willingness to make that first step.

@Harlequin Thanks. I need to push my art to a place where I'm less comfortable, so I can grow a little more. And I think that means taking more risks.

@hb Yes, the funds are just an excuse. I need to have more faith in myself. I sometimes doubt the world (or at least the people in it) are very interested in the things I have to give. But I need to get past that and press ahead.

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,
I'm being selfish of course, but I will miss you and your words.
I do understand your desire for a break or escape.
I hope it might be of a temporary nature.
Please keep in touch, even by FB.
If you do wander 'world-wise' let me know where!
All my good wishes and good luck with whatever you discover next along the path of life.
Thank you for your friendship and poetic support.
Best wishes, Eileen :)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Eileen I'll still be posting here, just not as regularly. And I'll always be reachable. Since I work on the Web, I can't escape it entirely. I just don't want to be linked to it 24/7 like I have been.

Kay Tracy said...

Francis,

Much luck to you. I will continue to watch for posts. I look forward to hearing about your new adventures!
~Kay

Francis Scudellari said...

@Kay Thanks. I'm sure I'll use this space to chronicle any adventures I have. I think it makes more sense to use the blog as a journal. I just don't have that much interesting going on to write about now, which is why I mostly post poems.

Jon said...

Francis,

I decided some time ago that I was not obliged to keep up with posts and comments. You should never feel so either. This space is, for me, a place to read and write and relax.

Why have stress attached?

Either way, you know that the same folks are going to be here whenever you come around.

Latika Mishra said...

hi Sir... I'll be honored if you read my posts and post a comment beneath...
regards
latika

Anonymous said...

Oh...well at least I know you have
had some interesting experiencees:)