Pages

Thursday, November 06, 2008

We'll return to our regular programming after this brief political message ...

I'm just back from my trip to help Barack Obama carry Ohio (which he did, in case you didn't see the news), and I wanted to very briefly share a few thoughts on the experience.

Four of my friends and I traveled from the electorally secure city of Chicago to Cleveland, a toss-up territory on the shores of lake Erie. There we met our good friend Katy, who had been helping to organize the campaign in the area for five weeks. A rough-around-the-edges group of guys dubbed the Chicago Boys and the Chicago Crew, we were welcomed enthusiastically and immediately put to work out in the neighborhoods.

It began with a methodical canvassing of suburban Parma to tip the minds of those who hadn't yet decided and to motivate those who had. It ended, in the last few hours before the polls closed, with a mad dash through the streets of an impoverished area of Cleveland to make sure that everyone there had exercised their right to vote.

There are many stories to tell (and I'll gladly share them with anyone who asks me over the next days, weeks, months and years), but no amount of words can adequately capture the whole experience. Most memorable was that shared moment as the large group of local volunteers and staff nervously watched the returns around TVs and computer screens on Tuesday night. First came the news that Pennsylvania had gone to Obama, and shortly after that the giddy announcement that Ohio was also projected in our column. 

As more states were called with the closing of polls in the Midwest, we all began to realize what we had accomplished. I'll never forget the tear-streaked faces mixed in among the smiles as Obama secured the needed 270 electoral votes. Handshakes, hugs and kisses abounded as a tremendous wave of emotion washed over all of us in that office -- a scene that I'm sure was played out in countless places across the nation. 

There was a tinge of sadness that we Chicago Six couldn't be home for the big celebration in Grant Park, but it was more than compensated for with the sheer joy of watching Obama's acceptance speech at a local bar surrounded by a group of committed community organizers (and yes, after much serious dismissing of that occupation at the Republican Convention, there was some vindication here). 

Although Obama's victory is a very big, progressive step for our country and the world, it is in many ways just the first foot forward on our long and very challenging journey together. Amid the many positive memories we bring back with us from Ohio, there are also the bracing ones of naked racism discovered in some homes whose doors were opened to us. It is a reminder that there are still minds stuck in the rut of antiquated ideas, and we need to reach out and pull them into the future.

That said, this election proves that most Americans are tired of the empty ideological debates and the childish name calling. They're sick of the politics of a past where race and religion were used to divide and distract us from the tasks at hand. Beyond its already well-documented historical significance, Obama's victory is the triumph of a politics of pragmatism. We have much to do, and we can no longer afford to shunt those responsibilities onto future generations.

Individually, we need to do the hard work of organizing the communities where we live. Members of a thriving democracy don't wash their hands of their responsibilities after visiting the voting booth every four years. They dirty those hands digging in to make sure that the people we've elected are keeping the promises made to uphold the constitution and protect the public interests. Let's use this moment to come together as a nation to guarantee that this truly is the fulfilment of that long-sought and hard-fought dream of a society where we're all judged based on the content of our character.

7 comments:

Charles Sapp said...

Excellent post Francis!! I have been awaiting your perspective since you have played an intricate part of the campaign from the very beginning. I remember you being the great inside source while I was away in China. I thank you and remember when you said that by the time I returned to the US, it will be a different place and change will be evident. Well, after Tuesday I have been blessed to witness a historic change within my lifetime which is quite substantial not just to my heritage but to America as a whole. I commend you Francis for your commitment and I swore you were one of the hundred thousands at Grant Park. I am sorry that your dedication prevented you from that moment. Great work buddy and I love your FrancisScudellari.com site; I registered. Talk to you soon!!

With Great Respect,
Charles Sapp

Bobby Revell said...

Great post Francis and congratulations to Obama! Even though I am a staunch libertarian who is absolutely anti-war, believes in extremely small government, limited executive powers and opposes the unconstitutional federal income tax (it is illegal) - I cannot help but feel the beauty and majestic symbology of an African American president. I think it's fantastic and wonderful.

You know, I am extremely liberal, but I disagree with having a massively powered government. I am a "small government" liberal or maybe an anti-war left leaning conservative...LOL!!!

I do believe Obama is extremely inspiring and possibly the best speaker I've ever heard in my entire life; however, he must prove his worth and leadership. Leadership is earned not given.

Of course, I oppose the Bush administration and believe he is the worst president in history. The republican party is disgusting and they have to change in colossal ways. I have heavily criticized Obama, McCain and the entire US government - BUT I will give Obama a chance!!!!

I have no illusions about politicians and governmental corruption. I fully expect even Obama's most loyal supporters to hold him absolutely accountable and be truly objective.

I am proud to be American though, especially now! I wish Obama the best and hope his pragmatic approach will be great. If he does well, I will support him fully. I am an open minded libertarian and willing to even change my own beliefs.

Jackie said...

WooHoooo for you and all of us that voted him in!!

Our entire family voted for him and my oldest was a state delegate!!

WTG Francis!!:-)))

Anonymous said...

Superb post. We were just spectators but we shared in your joy and pride of how true democracy should be done.

I felt teary eyed too, watching from TV and I made a post at gewgaw about this experience too.

I'm sure lots of American people are proud of volunteers like you and my hats off to you too, for a job well done. Bravo and congratulations.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Charles My spine still tingles thinking of what we accomplished in this election. It truly is a transformative moment, but we still need to do much work to seize this great opportunity. I love your new site too ... great job! The respect is very much mutual.

@Bobby An open mind is the key, but we also need to hold on to some skepticism as it keeps all involved honest. I understand the disinclination toward big government, since it's almost always used to control individual lives in a way that works against their interests. There have to be checks on power, and I think the technological changes we're seeing today will give us the means to put those in place. That said, there are still a thousand ways Obama's movement could be misdirected. But now is the time for hope, not cynicism. Let's work together until they prove us wrong. There are some very broad areas of agreement among Americans right now. End the war, get off oil, and make the economy work better for everyone are certainly at the top of the list.

@Shinade This victory definitely belongs to all of us :).

@Jena It was a very emotional moment ... and hard not to get caught up in the wave. I'm off to check out your post now :).

Anonymous said...

Thanks you for all your hard work in this regard. I really had my doubts about Ohio until it was called.
You should feel quite gratified, though tired.

Thanks again.

Rachel Fox said...

Well done on being part of it. It is a first foot forward as you say but it is a huge one and after so many years of steps backwards (or going round in circles) it is so good to feel that going forward is even an option!