Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Twisted form: rediscovering a groove

I'm trying very hard to get back to a regular schedule of writing. I think the quality of my work will improve as I do. Here's the latest poetic effort, which I hope bears out that hypothesis ...

Twisted form
By Francis Scudellari

A twisted form, ever
(Love re-emerging)
It crawls out-in my mind's
(Or, more artful: heart's)
Open-fielded vision

Serpentine in nature
(But surely no snake)
Its knotted quiet slides,
(Less kindly: slithers)
Cooling all it touches

Each up-down feathered scale
(One-thousand facets)
A rainbow-capped smile
(My sadness turned round)
To oft-questioned answers

Its mid-section's bulging
(Perhaps new-fed full)
Tapers to sleek-lined necks,
(Indistinct ending)
Each locked in screw-thread spin

As its twin mouths belch up
(Inky vapor's coil)
A trailing music's script,
(Beats, no melody)
Out-cast spells, spiral hymns

Of near-wordless seeming,
(Slippery to touch)
Drip down in a green ooze
(Clinging, it passes)
Through my tightly clutched hands

Their meaning only caught
(Now, from a distance)
With reading-drowsy eye
(Long-ago embarked)
Toward sleep's final dream

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Fascinating poem, Francis. I can read it over and over and get something different from it every time.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Francis,

Very provocative and enchanting poem...It's just so good.

How I wish I could write a poem as good as this.

Cheers.

neferiti said...

I have become a fan of your blog! LOVE your artwork!Therefore, I have left you an award. Hope you like it. Happy Blogging!

Helen

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jakill Thanks. I tried to capture a dream-like logic to the transitions and imagery, which would open it up to some interesting interpretations.

@Jena I'm glad you like it. With time and practice, you might surprise yourself at what you can create.

@Neferiti I'm glad you're a fan, and I'll come pick up the award very soon. Thanks and happy blogging to you!

Jackie said...

Francis you simply amaze me all the time with your ability to go so deep.

I wrote again too. I think you guys are inspiring me.

But I doubt I'll ever be as good.

Anonymous said...

You have a special way of uncovering the depth of things many people do not detect or see. The more you write, the more you engage your readers. Keep going!

Anonymous said...

When you feel inspired, you have reason to share another part of yourself. Thanks for adding me to your blogcatalog friends. You are a blessing.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Liara,

I'm looking forward to exploring your site more. I'm someone who dreams quite a lot ... pretty much from the moment my eyes close ... so understanding them is important to me. I've also made the discovery that the source of my writing and drawing is closely connected to that spiritual/imaginary side of me that expresses itself in my dreaming. Thanks for the kind words. Sometimes I worry I'm more of a curse.