Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

No catchy slogan can compete with her blossoms

Chip-bag phrases,
clipped and cornered,
ripped and unstrung,
make a sad sense
out of their silvery
linings.

Jagged, inept scars are
overlooked and forever
forgetting the spring,
the way
her perfumed messages
sneak off to the sun
and his golden-tongued
flattery returns
to sprout more magenta-blue
crescendos.

The swelling
colors cover-up
the drone of crudely picked,
plastic plantings.

Beauty is all.
It discounts
as it recounts
the bags’ ticked-off failings.



Here's another Wordle prompt as provided by Brenda Warren. I enjoy doing these because they're like a game of connect the dots, making stories out of a clutch of (not quite) random words.

3 comments:

brenda w said...

Don't know why I love it, exactly, but this piece strikes a chord.
Chip-bag phrases down to silvery linings pulls me into the piece. It's great, Francis. I love "flattery returns to sprout more magenta-blue crescendos."

You also nailed why I like wordles-- a connect the dots game. They can be fun to ferret out, and also provide a path when I feel stuck.
~Brenda

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, I do like this! So many wonderful phrases - From start to finish, this is a fine read!

Francis Scudellari said...

@Brenda I've always been a puzzle person, so I think that's why it appeals to me. And it's hard to describe, but I like the way the words come together to "suggest" their story to me.

@Tumblewords Thanks!