Pages

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lessons from foreign gods, No. 2

I've followed the Wyrd thread
where it led me,
and it leads me again
to this loose end.

Three gently giant crones
dip their watering pale
hands in a waterless well.
They tell me:

"The becoming's
happened. It was one picked.
There were many
hung by our ought-to-be."



This is the second in my planned series of short poems related to gods and myths from around the world. I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which is providing me with ample hints toward other mythologies to research. His reference to the Norns from Norse mythology got me exploring, and this is the result.

2 comments:

flaubert said...

Francis, that is a fantastic book, you should read "Neverwhere", if you haven't yet. He is a great writer.

Pamela

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Pamela. This was the first book I've read by him. I'd seen a few movies based on his works. I think I'll tackle Anansi Boys next, and then Neverwhere. Chicago has actually picked Neverwhere for its "one book" program this year.