Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Taking a cue from the leopard slugs

I’ve found her sticky
trail of coincidental
spots, the tasty spit
to lead squishy spells
and piece together
our puzzling
theme of a tree-top
fall to redemption

There when entangled,
the overture hangs,
our forbidding fruit of blue
translucent petals,
and it swirls and swells
to fixture-
cast an eerie glow
that slowly unwraps

And inseminates
us with precious, not-thought of
possibilities
for rebirth.


The inspiration for this is the strangely beautiful mating ritual of the leopard slug, and a challenge from my poet friend Eileen to write a poem about it.

4 comments:

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Francis,
If I were anywhere near Chicago, I'd have to shake your hand and buy you a drink!
This is wonderful and has painted the whole process in front of my eyes.
I commend your skill Francis.
You are a master of Words and Thoughts!!!!
Thank you, Eileen :)

Kay Tracy said...

Francis, this is too weird. I just read E.L. Grant Watson's "Unknown Eros" the other day and watched a Youtube video of this very thing! Some kindred spirit link. I have to say, the creatures will no longer be salted by my hand. Anything with that much skill in lovemaking must live...

Your poem is an excellent painting of the beauty! ~Kay

Jenny said...

This is superb, Francis! I just love the conjuring of it all. And great praise to Eileen for coming up with the challange.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Eileen I'll hold you to that drink the next time you're in the States :).

@Kay I meant to give the poem a subtext about coincidence, so that's cool that you'd just seen this video independently. There are all these strange little serendipities when you travel on a certain path, and I think they act as hints for us to keep going and pursue the new opportunities. Salting slugs always seemed cruel to me, but then again I've never been a gardener.

@Jenny Thanks... I'm considering the possibility of becoming a commissioned poet. Name your subject... :)