Pages

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pickled

Pickled on quixotic tonics
he strives for a polyglot's poise,
balancing plaster peas
at the end of his tippler's tongue.

But the rough-surfaced pearls prickle
his too-ticklish bed of pink,
and gulped down, he administers
only a lessoned indigestion.

Flipping the flop, he prevaricates
himself into the tight-fit corners
of a parallelogram traced
by unsolemn processionals

bedecked in platitudinous finery.
Their porous smirks drip sticky
reminders of a plethora
of previously pernicious exercises

and dampen his fluffy ambition,
prodding procrastinations until
his drunken promise dries out
to become a posthumous wish.

Francis Scudellari



This poem is written in response to Read Write Prompt #101: p-p-p-poetry at Read Write Poem. There are a total of 13 p-word prompts, and I used all of them (plus a few extras of my own for seasoning).

16 comments:

Rossini's Thieving Magpie said...

Dampened his fluffy ambition!Sorry,will have to use this.
Masterful, Francis.Very impressed.

anthonynorth said...

Great use of the words. Quite a challenge this week.

Cynthia Short said...

Excellent use of those pesky p's!

Unknown said...

Hi Francis,

Great use of the words and amusing too!

gerry boyd said...

Yeah, my tongue gets t-t, t-t
Every t-time, I just

Ev'ry, t-
Yeah, my insides shake
Just like a leaf on a tree

good one Francis. really funny to try to read out loud

gautami tripathy said...

I am tickled to pickle!

:D

perfectly plastered

Kill Word Verification

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I sit here, wondering what a quixotic tonic might taste like. You might say the question is perplexing me. :-)

Anonymous said...

I love the "quixotic tonics" and "lessoned indigestion" among a great set of phrases. Nice sounds and use of the words.

Marcella Brown said...

modern poetry uses the word procastrination a lot, don't you think?

Francis Scudellari said...

@RTM Feel free to use it as you wish, and thanks so much. And I love the alias. I'll have to check out the opera.

@Anthony It was a challenge, but I usually do best with word prompts. They fit my peculiar process.

@Cynthia Pesky but also phun :).

@Derrick These p's seemed to lend themselves to lightheartedness.

@Gerry I'm a big fan of VM.

@Gautami Just don't pickle to tickle :).

@Julie It's sweet with just a dash of spice.

@David I've been enamored of slant rhymes lately.

@Marcella I haven't taken an inventory, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Unknown said...

'a posthumous wish'. How imaginative!

mark said...

I really like how you added other combination's of words beginning with the same letter. Got away from the overuse (I'm guilty) of the 'P' sound.

Tumblewords: said...

Pickled tink to have been able to read this - the final two lines are positively perfect.

Tamra said...

Love this part:
Flipping the flop, he prevaricates
himself into the tight-fit corners
of a parallelogram traced
by unsolemn processionals

Unknown said...

Your poem, bedecked in platitudinous finery, is a very enjoyable read. I love the consonant clashes you put together that tickle your tongue as you read through.
"quixotic tonics" "tippler's tongue" "prodding procrastinations" are a few examples. Masterful work, Francis. Thank you for sharing.

Wayne Pitchko said...

pickled in some tonic....tasty....nicely done