Pages

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Belly: Chapter Four

Dialogue
by Francis Scudellari

"What do you hear?

"Voices…"

"More than one?"

"Yes … usually two. They're clearly different."

"Are they male or female?"

"Two men … I think. But it's hard to tell. They whisper."

"Are they speaking to you?"

"No … at least not yet. They only speak to each other."

"Is it a running dialogue?"

"I think so."

"Can you make out what they're saying?"

"I can hear the words, but they don't always make sense to me. They're only pieces of something much larger. It's as if I'm eavesdropping on a conversation that continues on later without me."

"Are the voices friendly?"

"They're not hostile, and they seem to tolerate each other. But I wouldn't say friendly, no. They're more dispassionate than anything. It's as if they're dissecting a corpse on an examining table."

"Are you the corpse? Are they talking about you?"

"Yes … perhaps … I don't know. Would that be good or bad?"

"It's neither good nor bad. I'm just trying to understand."

"So am I …"
Post a Comment