Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Animating myself with a twice-borrowed idea

As I work up the energy to return to regular posting, I thought I'd share a bit of borrowed fun.

I discovered this little exercise in self-portraiture at That Grrl (who saw it at Lady Banana). On the site Face Your Manga you can create a picture of yourself as a manga-style character.

I'm a bit of an animation geek (as you can probably tell from my drawings), so I couldn't resist giving it a whirl. The available facial features didn't allow for a very realistic portrait, but this product of my choices still amuses me. I especially like the sunken-cheeked look with the graveyard background.

I may just try my hand at a manga-style self portrait to see if I can do better.

7 comments:

Fiendish said...

Sweet self-portrait! I couldn't access the site for some reason (it kept insisting I update my perfectly-updated Flash), but it looks pretty cool.

Can't wait to see your next one!

Jena Isle said...

hi Francis, this portrait is more or less accurate?! Looks good...and respectable...Handsome too...LOL...happy blogging.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Fiendish It's a good way to waste a few minutes. There's something strangely appealing (at least to me) about imagining oneself as a cartoon character. That's weird that it kept prompting you to update Flash.

@Jena I'd say very inaccurate, actually. My hand-drawn one is closer, but still very stylized.

Anonymous said...

I tired this as well. I have been looking for a vector artist to do one of me but vector art is really difficult to do well and takes a long time so not wanting to pay a fortune this will do.lol

Cooper said...

tried I mean.

Ken Armstrong said...

Would make a nice 125 x 125 widget, if one fancied a change for a week. :) Must try it.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Cooper I hope you posted on your blog ... I'd like to see it :).

@Ken I took your advice, but used my own version of a self-portrait. I hope it doesn't drive drop traffic away :).