Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Doodle Week: Lost at sea

Doodle Week Day 4's theme is Doodle Vacation. With the US dollar trending downward and travel abroad becoming very expensive, many Americans are taking stay-cations. This means doing interesting things close to home. There are also the frequent journeys into the imaginative world of books and movies that are on my itinerary.

I'm currently immersed in a book about early 20th Century cartoonist George Herriman who penned the strip Krazy Kat. Herriman's comic scenery verges on the surreal and inspired the following dreamy ocean landscape, which is where you'll find me during my mental summer vacation.

10 comments:

Jena Isle said...

Looking at it, it is like I'm lost inside a bottled ocean. Like it is bottled, but I'm still lost in the vast blueness. Are you a hypnotist too Francis? Your art work, hypnotizes me with its splendor.
and blue is my favorite color.

Way to go!

Anonymous said...

I agree it does look like the sea in a bottle..I find it hypnotic..I have always had a fscination for the sea..

Lynda Lehmann said...

I enjoy your doodles; they have a very organic, undulating and flowing feel.

I need to take a mental vacation from myself! Any suggestions?

Olga, the Traveling Bra said...

Beautiful!!!! All of your doodles are very unique!

Mark said...

Your fluidic style of drawing works well with this subject matter.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena It's funny you should say that, initially I thought about boxing up the waves like an aquarium. I wish I was a hypnotist, then I might be able to persuade folks to do things for me :).

@Robert I've always found the sea fascinating too. I'd like to take a long boat trip some day ... not a cruise but real sailing.

@Lynda A good futuristic or super-natural novel is the best stay-cation trip I can recommend :). I'm quite fond of escapist movies as well. Hell Boy II is next on my agenda.

@Olga If nothing else, I've got uniqueness going for me :).

@Mark Yes, I agree. I need to do more water related drawings.

Lynda Lehmann said...

franscud, my best escape is a good movie--any genre--as long as it's not anarchist or nihilist in point of view.

or doing art. that always works to take me out of myself.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Lynda I'm with you on that ... these drawings are a great escape for me.

Ruthie said...

I hate the open sea, but I love this one.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Ruthie ... I think this one is a little less intimidating than a real ocean :).