Pages

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Tweetku?

Because Twitter imposes a 140 character limit, there are a lot of tweet-poets reviving the Japanese poetry forms of haiku, tanka and senryƫ. To see some good examples, just search on those tags at Twitter.

This new-fangled adaptation will probably rankle the literary purists, but they're the sort to always get rankled about something. I've tried my hand at writing a few of what I'll call tweetku — since I'm sure they don't rise to the level of haiku. They're a nice diversion. Back to longer form poetry soon.

Soft-breeze dawn voices
ripple curtains glowing rose
hint at worlds beyond

This ripe, round moment
dangles tantalizing, close
then shrivels, too soon

Ripe plum once bitten
sits wound-up on back-stairs rail
offering to birds?

Cajoling bird songs
backed by dissonant chorus
five fan blades abuzz

5 comments:

Angela said...

I love your haikus. You are quite talented at them!

gerry boyd said...

Great and clever stuff Francis.

Gotta love the "tweetku"!

Try some tweetanka next

cooper said...

I am glad i stoppe by here to catch up, It's een too long,life interferes.

It give me peace.

Anonymous said...

Softly tantalizing, ripe - glowing plum. I particularly liked.. sits wound-up on back-stairs rail. Nice imagery.

You are true to the art form. I am grateful to be a fellow poet.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Angel Thanks... I think I'm finally getting the hang of writing them :).

@Gerry I hope to graduate up to tweetanka soon :)

@Cooper Life does interfere... though maybe that will be less so as summer wanes. I've been by your site regularly and enjoy the visits, but haven't commented in a while. Thanks for the really nice compliment... it means a lot to me.

@jemfyr I sometimes benefit from a strict economy of words :)