Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hoped-for payoff

Here's the payoff on that tease of a post I did two days back. I tweaked the first stanza, and then took the poem in a slightly different direction than I originally intended. And I finished it in time for New Year's, which I hope will give me many reasons to be resolved.

Purgatory
by Francis Scudellari

I am wedged, ever so un-
comfortably between too
pliable becoming and
a stone-hardened was: Stuck

Through a piggish present, slow-
roasted over lukewarm flames;
Blue, stubby tongues that lick a-
way my black, greasy drips: Sins

He, She, You, Someone counts, in-
dexes with hidden names locked
in musty drawers; dark acts some-
times only intended: Thought

Clouds of form-shifting, milk-
puff fingers that reach, caress
their glassy lid, collect, and
fall dewy dropped back down: Wait

In-pooled, murky hands that palm-
press this thick-boxed bottom till
spidery cracks appear and I
slip out, into: Tomorrow.

11 comments:

Jena Isle said...

Wow! I like the redeeming last paragraph. The poem started with negativity, and has progressed into a positive ending.

That is how I interpret it, it's awesome. But, of course , there are other interpretations from different individuals. I hope I came near the thoughts of the writer?!

Happy new year, Francis!

Unknown said...

Thank you. It was worth the wait. Fantastic metaphoric images. It seemed quite a dark poem, perhaps to match your last post. But I like the cracks of hope at the very end. Very apt for New Year.

Jaya said...

Wishing you a Happy 2009!

Fiendish said...

Hate to break up the chain of "J" commenters...

But I really liked this. It is morally ambiguous - given the licking tongues, the "sins" and the "dark acts" - but linguistically intriguing.

Not sure how I feel about the capitalisation after the colon; the poem is peppered with unusual capitals that I'm still trying to make up my mind about.

Well done :)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jena You definitely came near my thoughts. I tried to include a glimmer of hope at the end. The time in purgatory may seem eternal, but there is the promise of eventual escape.

@Jakill I'm very glad you like it, and consider it worth the wait :). I wanted to start off the new year with a small note of optimism.

@Jaya I hope you have a great 2009 too!

@Fiendish You've started a new chain of Fs :). I'm a big fan of moral ambiguity, and linguistic intrigue, so thanks! There's a definite logic to my punctuation and capitalization here, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's sound. I could probably use the critical eye of an editor.

Dave King said...

I struggled a bit with the first verse - me and mu hangover, probably. But after that all was plain sailing - and very impressive.

Anonymous said...

There is a great crescendo feeling in the poem. I love the metaphors, especially the lapidary ones. Happy New Year my friend!

Anonymous said...

Excellent Francis. My interpretation? You feel stuck in the mundane and hope to break free into different directions in the future. I don't know. Just me...but heck, another great and unique poem my friend.
Happy New Year!
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

@Dave Hangover or not, I think you're right about the first stanza. It is a bit tacked on, as I wrote it a few days before the rest. The transition isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be.

@JC Thanks so much, and a Happy 2009 to you as well!

@JD You are of course right on with the analysis (as my latest post will bear out). I greatly appreciate the continued visits and comments. Here's to a great 2009 for all of us!

None said...

Poetry, like a fine wine, is best savored. I shall have to read and re-read this one and roll it around in my brain to add air to it.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Manx I'm more of a beer drinker, but I like the metaphor :).