Pages

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm Sick Y'all: Can't keep a good writer down (not to mention the food)


Sorry for the prolonged silence ... can you manage two days without my wit and wisdom? I made the unfortunate acquaintance of a nasty stomach bug. With a foggy mind and a pen laid low, the best I can bring up from my font of elocution is a lyrical interlude from Otis Redding.

Until then, consider this question: What's worse, physical illness, love sickness, or metaphysical angst? Otis sounds pretty bad off with the second, so I'll take the first as I'm told my particular affliction will pass soon. I'll be back discussing the third before the rooster crows three more times.

I'm Sick Y'all
by Otis Redding

Standin' outside, y'all
It's raining, children
Gettin' soaking wet
And it's raining, y'all
Been put out, y'all
Nowhere to go, children
People all ask me, son
Tell me what's wrong with you
Tell 'em I've been sick, y'all, yeah
Yes, I've been sick, children, yeah
My baby got me
In a terrible shape
Lord, she got me sufferin'
With a headache, yeah
Lord, pain in my heart workin'
Dragging my feet, y'all
Twelve long days, children
Had a bite to eat now
Y'all wanna know, yeah
Tell me what's wrong with me
Said I've been sick, y'all, yeah
Tell you I'm sick, y'all, yeah
Now no doctor's medicine
Will do me no good
Lord have mercy, children
I wished it would, yeah
Somebody, sick, bad shape
Pain, children, tremblin', y'all
Legs are tremblin', Lord
Hands are tied
Feel like I got a headache
Right here in my side
Heart's turning over
Beating like a drum, y'all
Tom tom tom, yeah
Heart's keep a beating, baby
Now what's wrong with me
Tell y'all I'm sick, y'all
Said I'm sick, y'all
Got me in a terrible shape
Yeah honey
Sufferin', children
Lord, I'm tired of it, honey
Rain is cold, children
Burnin' my side, y'all
Standing on the outside
Water in my shoes, children
She got me suffering, baby
Oh that's bad news, man
She got me moaning, y'all
Troubles out calm, yeah
She got me startin' to think
Where did I come from, y'all
Tell you I've been sick, y'all
Yeah, I've been sick, y'all
Everybody wanna know...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

koo kuree kooooo !

koo kuree kooooo !

koo kuree kooooo !

Francis Scudellari said...

That sounds a lot like what my stomach's been doing the past 24 hours :)

Lisa McGlaun said...

Francis,

Hope you feel better soon. Metaphysical angst? Can't wait to see what you have in store.

Peace,
Lisa

Jackie said...

Ewwww...I am so sorry you feel bad...I haven't felt well either but wasn't going to say anything!!!But now I have. It makes it so hard to feel creative and have any energy huh? Get better soon!!~Jackie

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Lisa,
I think I'll be back up to speed by tomorrow. I may even manage a post tonight ... but just a short one.

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Jackie,
It's getting to be that time of year, and the mind is definitely connected to the body so it is hard to write well when feeling amiss. All the well-wishes will speed my recovery.