Pages

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Argus & Io, Part One

This is the first part of my new poem inspired by another classical myth. To read a little background on the story that informed it, check out the Wikipedia article on Argus Panoptes (all-seeing Argus).

Argus and Io
By Francis Scudellari

I.

He
put on
cocky watch
towering stands,
long-reaching throws off
shadows of square-cut limbs
loose-draped in rough skin
to guard against
dawn's thick air
creeping,
chilled
his own
flagging strength
braced by sipped fire
sharpening fifty
paired eyes that monstrous ring
his still, uncrowned head
each visited
by just one
moment's
sleep
well-timed
in rolling
blinked-lid cascade
to stop-frame project
scenes from dewy-green fields
keeping a beast for
the jealousy
of too quick-
fading
robes

8 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

This is one I would love to know more about .....I understand writers can draw from any framework...but this one has a different feel.Still...well done. Love your writing
Linda

Francis Scudellari said...

Hi Linda, I added a link to a Wikipedia article on Argus to give a little background on the story. As far as why I chose it, Argus has always fascinated me as a character.

Mark Kerstetter said...

That giant head ringed with eyes, "in rolling blinked-lid cascade" - what an awe-inspiring image!

Jena Isle said...

Flawless as usual. Superb Francis. Poetry at its max. I like most especially how the words linked beautifully with each other.

Best regards and more!

sen and qi said...

I think this is a wonderful and refreshing change to much standardized poetry that I have read of late and is so unique in flavour. I loved it.

Charles Sapp said...

Hows it been Francis? It seems that you are still cranking out the fine art. Great for you, I look forward to seeing more of your work. Take care and keep them coming!

The Uneasy Supplicant said...

Hi Francis!

Hope everything is well. As for this piece I have to agree with Jena Isle...the flow from one word to another is extremely well done. And...interest use of using characters from mythology,

Take care.
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

@Mark Thanks... that was the image that got this poem kick-started.

@Jena I actually want to tinker with one spot where I think the flow is a little awkward.

@Sen&Qi I'm definitely non-standardized, and I'm very glad you appreciate it :).

@Charles Thanks... good to see you again, and I'll be by to check out your site more. I've slowed down a bit, but still hope to keep plugging away for a while.

@JD I am always very appreciative of the compliments. I've always been fascinated by myths, and find them fun to play with.