Pages

Friday, April 03, 2009

Oranges, concluded with a dream

Finally, here is the last part of my poem Oranges for Three Loves (read the complete poem here). I may yet make some small changes to it, and please feel free to offer suggested tweaks. I should have another drawing or two based on it upcoming as well.

IV. Evening dreamed

As jagged-tooth fence-post's shadow lengthens,
a sudden unthinking appetite grows.
He grabs the last orange, gobbling it all
but a lone slick seed that sticks in his cheek

His magic seeming sadly lost, the kernel
he takes, finger-pushes it in topped soil,
then lays his head next to single-seed bed
and sleeps, drowsed by a soft-chirped serenade

That night, a tree sprouts of strange banded fruit;
perched among its branches, waking he spies
a fairy's green tossed locks, and dreamy she
with limpid hazel gaze smiles back at him

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've just caught up with this series, and I'll be coming back to reread a few times. (That's when I can stop thinking about the three oranges I brought back from Egypt, which were just gorgeous in slices with a slurp of cointreau.)

Jena Isle said...

Hi Francis,

This last poem is wonderful. It seems, at last the effort was rewarded. I love most the last two lines"

"a fairy's green tossed locks, and dreamy she
with limpid hazel gaze smiles back at him."

Requited love is always sweet and wonderful.

zorlone said...

Francis,
I was just going to comment on the fairy... too bad Jenaisle beat me to it!

If you can't get the girl, go ahead and take your chance with the fairy! LOL

Z

Francis Scudellari said...

@Jakill I hope it stands up to multiple readings... and those oranges sound like they were quite tasty :).

@Jena Requited love is the only way to go... even if it is just imaginary :).

@Zorlone You have to take love where you can find it, even if it's in the branches of a magic tree :)

Anonymous said...

Truly excellent work on the "Oranges" series my friend. Well done. I've been keeping an eye on you through my feed reader. As always these and your latest work are light years ahead of most everyone else in blog world. Make the transition Francis. Get out of this Mickey Mouse environment and go where the real "poets" hang out. Get your work out there to be published.

Take care my friend. You have my email address...drop me a line.
~JD

Francis Scudellari said...

@JD I always appreciate the visits, and I'm very glad to hear from you. I'll definitely drop you a line. I was actually just thinking about you the other day.