Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Fast-food notions

There’s no need for me to start
in, when a stop’s been
abridged to little more than
a pause and a wink at
the romantic thought
pleasant but stony bridges
once came between
coming and going.

They’ve substituted it –
the dirty and rutted
road leading up –
to a smooth black surface,
with a broad white stripe
and a textured mat
of margarine yellow,
hard rubber bumps, that
will teach us, what
shakes us doesn’t have to slow
radials slurping us in through
the drive-through.

Some things are worth the wait,
like the wind-up voice
behind sliding-glass,
and its brandishing hands
eking us our infusion
of copper coins back
and flimsy paper sacks
filled with a rural life
filtered out through industrial
chimneys, then patted
down to a few
salty, groundbeef patties.



This is in response to the most recent prompt at A wordling whirl of Sundays. Check out the site to see what others have contributed.

10 comments:

flaubert said...

Francis, you had my complete attention from title to opening stanza to closing. A wonderful piece of writing, with quite a surreal undertone.

Pamela

Henry Clemmons said...

I like anything with white stripes in it. Great use of the words. ENjoyed it. Creative.

vivinfrance said...

I've never had a drive-through meal - not something that could live in French clture - but I now know what it's all about, thanks to your clever poem.

Anonymous said...

It may be in praise of fast food but I'm not sure. Nicely ambiguous.

bonneypoet said...

Very vivid, Francis. I may never steer my way through a drive-through again after reading that. ;)

Francis Scudellari said...

@Pamela The surreal always seems to sneak up on me :).

@Henry Thanks, I'm a white stripes fan too, especially the band.

@Viv You and the French are much better off without it... It's something that's very American.

@Tilly There are many who are quite fond of the convenience, but I'm not to be counted among them.

@BonneyPoet There are much better places to drive through :)

Mr. Walker said...

Francis, enjoyed your thoughts - and they came and went fast. Love "what / shakes us doesn't have to slow".

Richard

Francis Scudellari said...

@Richard Thanks. My thoughts do come fast and furious :)

brenda w said...

Your wordle pieces always deliver, Francis. I love the final stanza. When I ask a classroom of middle school students if they sit down and eat at a table at least three times a week with their family to raise their hands, it is usually less than one third.

I'm impressed that Viv has never been through a drive-through. Wow.

Sorry to read and comment so late in the week. It's been hellaciously busy with the end of a school year nearing, and I thought I'd already visited your piece. duh.

I don't need the waves in your background to make me dizzy...I'm already there. :)
~Brenda

P.S. My word verification is dwine. I'd like a glass of Shiraz.

Francis Scudellari said...

@Brenda A glass of Shiraz sounds pretty good to me too :). Thanks for the comment, and it's never too late to leave one... I generally assume people are pretty busy.