Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Zero emissions: A lesson in sustainable poetry

I. Reuse

Weightless, I walked
impatiently
through this darkly steep
and thorny thicket.
With each step, I passed
carelessly
over a world of wrongs
un-lived,
not committed
if imagined
but razor-sharp
when limned.
They all bled me
till ghostly grey
I left no mark,
only the memorized
feint of pale words spoken
to and for no-one.

II. Recycle

If when lonely roving
thick-lined felt,
rashly I imply
in thin-stalk-fonted yap
we met before
while toeing separate parts
through oily lands
marred by
murky nickle mons,
do teach me
to spare my pitted foe
and deliver me
to dazzle-destined toll hall
where potent word-loss magic
wrings this soaked
throw of noughts

III. Reduce

when
i felt
rashly
thin
separate
lands
pitted
me
to toll
potent
rings
of nought


This piece may need a little bit of an explanation as it's mostly an intellectual exercise. For Reuse, I reworked an old poem called "Weightless, I walked" (click the link above). For Recycle, I took all of the letters from Reuse and scrambled them to come up with new words. For Reduce, I did an erasure on Recycle, stripping it down to a few choice words (while keeping them in the same order).

No comments: